This historic drinking den in the city formerly known as Rangoon, Burma (now Yangon, Myanmar) is today in a tumble-down state.
The Pegu Club was once among the most esteemed clubs in all the British colonies. Built in 1882 this is where the British Raj officers running Burma quenched their thirsts until the Japanese took over the building in 1942, during the Second World War.
The compound was eventually abandoned in 2002, however restoration work is currently taking place and the Pegu Club may one day arise from its ashes.
Until such a time, a renowned New York bar named in honour of the Pegu continues its legacy, selling the gin-and-curacao-based cocktail that bears the Pegu Club name.